Sunday, February 7, 2021

Antiwar Voices Do Exist

For as long as I can remember I have never read or heard any material that covers information from an “antiwar” voice. I can vividly remember sitting in my 8th grade history class and hear my teacher boasting on how great our troops were doing in other countries to protect us, when in reality they were killing innocent civilians including women and children. Even in the news I have never seen a perspective that goes against war.



 

It is frustrating to live in a country whose media portrays a false sense of what is going on overseas because it is not the absolute truth. One story posted on Antiwar.com highlights the withdrawing of US troops in Afghanistan. Uninvolving ourselves (United States) is a great idea because it would allow Afghanistan to shape their own future but this idea “struck terror” to many in Washington. This is because all arms makers and former generals will no longer be supported financially by the government. Many cannot accept the idea that withdrawing US troops from Afghanistan will bring peace among the two nations and allow them to positively grow and change.


A positive change for the United States could be forming better relationships with countries in Central Asia since they will no longer be in control on those soils. In addition, US troops can be useful in places where needed, not to illegally torture innocent civilians. Afghanistan will be able to grow tremendously and improve living conditions without war. They can also focus on progressing their own military for better usage. Diplomats from the United States and Afghanistan negotiated for the “Agreement for Bringing Peace to Afghanistan between the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, which is not recognized by the United States as a state and is known as the Taliban, and the United States of America.” This deal means that American troops will leave by May, 2021 and the Taliban will guarantee to never allow any group “to use the soil of Afghanistan to threaten the security of the United States and its allies.”

 


I think it is bizarre that you have to seek out obscure websites in order to hear strong antiwar voices. I feel as though if I were introduced to these voices in my early education I would not automatically believe what the media is feeding me. I want to continue to educate myself and others on the importance of antiwar voices and the damage that is being covered up by our news and media.




Find out more info below:

https://www.antiwar.com/

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/web-categories/realism-restraint/


No comments:

Post a Comment