Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Final Blog: Technologies Impact on Me!

Technology has honestly taken over a good part of my life. Beginning at the age of 8, I was given my first phone for emergencies. I quickly learned how to utilize it for photos and games and not for its real purpose. For every birthday or holiday since that age I have almost always received a new, updated form of technology. I think this is a slight addiction because I chase for the newest product such as a new iPhone, air-pods, macs, or watches. 





I began using social media in middle school when apps such as Instagram & Snapchat began to be popular. I am still currently on these apps as well as TikTok, VSCO, Twitter and a few others that consume a lot of my time. Sometimes I don’t want to admit how much time I spend on these apps but this class really opened my eyes on the concepts of privacy and the harm that social media presents.






I also use social media for my personal professional growth which has been very healthy and beneficial. Platforms such as LinkedIn allow me to grow my personal brand and connect with professionals within the sports industry. Overall, I think I have a healthy balance with technology when I want to. I know when to limit myself and I have no problem taking a break from it. 





I think my parents have a unique relationship with technology. My mom is absolutely Facebook obsessed and makes sure to update all of her “friends” with any birthdays, milestones, or sometimes useless information. When asking her about her Facebook use she reflected that, “It is like a photo album, Facebook keeps all of my favorite pictures and memories and I love looking back on them.” I think it is sometimes a negative part of her life because she is constantly scrolling, even if she denies it. As for my dad, he deleted all social media (except Pinterest) about 5 years ago because he thinks it is extremely toxic.




I have a ton of friends who admit that they are addicted to their phones or other technology. They spend up to 12 hours a day on their phones which can cause a great deal of distraction and affect their mental health. In high school, we had to give one thing up for 10 days (forgiveness project) and my friends and I chose to do a complete social media cleanse. Some people cracked after the first day but I was able to go against my temptations to re-download social media. I think this class has impacted the choices I make when using social media because I am now private on all of my accounts. 





I am not too exposed online. When I Googled myself my LinkedIn profile appears as well as some field hockey and softball articles from high school. It is interesting to see that my name is automatically associated to my family and peers here at High Point University. I am glad to also have this blog as a part of my digital footprint because it demonstrates how I have grown through this course. I would like to continue my blog for my personal growth and to find more time to stay away from my phone. 






Find Out More Info Below: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNKN4dHGQKg

https://www.google.com/search?q=annie+borovskiy&tbm=isch&chips=q:annie+borovskiy,online_chips:athletic+director:iCW6ZHGz-ow%3D&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS737US737&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiNmL62pqbwAhVQ0FMKHfquBBEQ4lYoAnoECAEQHg&biw=1163&bih=684#imgrc=pPT8dazg7j4bXM

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/it-privacy/


No comments:

Post a Comment