Monday, January 25, 2021

Supreme Court History & Workings


I feel as though I could spend the rest of my life learning all about the Supreme Court! Before viewing these videos I thought I knew a good amount of information about it but I was proven wrong in 20 short minutes! I feel as though our judiciary system in America has many layers and the Supreme Court needs to be unraveled. 




I want to point out that the Supreme Court is the highest level court in the United States. There are also a lot of other nations that base their judiciary systems on the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court is made up of 9 justices who are carefully selected and approved by the President and Senate. There are thousands of cases that are brought up to the Supreme Court every year but only about 100 cases are accepted and brought to trial. This shows how serious their position is because the justices get to decide what cases are most important. With this, I think it is important to note that they have the power to dismiss or "silence" cases too.  




I have gained a tremendous amount of respect for the justices because of the work they do. Out of the hundreds of million of Americans that live in the United States only 9 get the title of "justice". I thought it was very interesting how in the video they explained that "being appointed to the supreme court is a kin to being struck by lightning". The current chief justices are John G. Roberts (chief), Clarence thomas, Stephen G. Breyer, Samuel A. Alito, Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan, Neil M. Gorsuch, Brett M. Kavanaugh, and Amy Coney Barrett. 




Find out More Info Below: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWRoXYRsaeo&feature=youtu.be

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/biographies.aspx

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/members_text.aspx


No comments:

Post a Comment