Sunday, February 14, 2021

Bonus Blog: My Phone Knows Me Better Than I Know Myself...


 Have you ever caught yourself thinking or talking about a product or place and moments later you are seeing an advertisement for it on your phone? I have had this happen to me countless times with shoes I wanted to buy, a restaurant, & even for a gym membership! I feel as though my devices such as my phone and laptop are “listening” to me and it is frightening that technology has evolved to this and questions the idea of an invasion of privacy. 

 

I have had targeted ads reach me through various ways. They can come through as an Instagram ad, on a Spotify or Sound Cloud commercial, and on the recommended shopping section on Facebook. 

 


Technology has made some serious advancements in the past decade and guessing my next purchase is like a game of mind control. These are described as targeted ads which means they are based on your search history, location, and other internet activity. It is no secret that Google and Facebook use your data to find your interests in order to sell you something. This is how they make money, they are not in business to know everything about you they just want to find any way to take your money.

 

No matter the reasoning it still feels that I am being listened to and that my conversations and inner thoughts are being monitored. Facebook does exactly what the government tells them to do which may be the worst privacy to exist considering the billions of users on the app. 






No comments:

Post a Comment